Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Message from Council Member Kevin Reich

My second term representing the First Ward began this January 6 with the swearing in of the new City Council, including seven new members, and Mayor Betsy Hodges. I look forward to working with my Council colleagues old and new and the Mayor as we continue to collaborate to strengthen Minneapolis’ economic vitality, livability and inclusivity.

My committee assignments this term include Executive Committee, Zoning & Planning (Z&P), Community Development & Regulatory Services (CR&RS), Public Safety, Civil Rights & Emergency Management (PSCR&EM), Claims, and Transportation & Public Works (TPW) Committee. I am very pleased to assume leadership of TPW, as I believe basic infrastructure and service delivery issues are a core function of municipal government. This committee has oversight of infrastructure improvements, traffic and traffic-management issues, special service districts and related assessments, bicycle and pedestrian plans and initiatives, recycling and solid waste disposal issues, and is responsible for considering appeals relating to block events and encroachment permits.

In addition to these committees, I have been assigned to a number of sub-committees, boards and commissions, including Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO), Minneapolis Riverfront Partnership (MRP), Metro Cities’ Transportation Advisory Board (TAB), Downtown Minneapolis Transportation Management Organization (TMO), Meet Minneapolis, Water Advisory Board, Rail Policy Group, NRP Policy Board and Metro CitiesGrant Evaluation & Ranking System (GEARS) board. I am very pleased to assume these assignments since many of them align closely with my interests in transportation, public works and water issues.

2014 marks my second year as chair of the MWMO board. As many of you know, this organization has located their new headquarters in the First Ward, in a beautiful facility on the banks of the Mississippi at Marshall Street. I look forward to working with this dynamic organization to implement initiatives to protect our river in the upcoming year.


No comments:

Post a Comment